Friday, January 30, 2009

February 1 Order of Service

The Order of Service for the Unitarian Church, Davenport
Sunday, February 1
The Four Chaplains: On Diversity and Its Uses


The reading which I love best is the scriptures of the several nations, though it happens that I am better acquainted with those of the Hindus, the Chinese, and the Persians, than of the Hebrews, which I have come to last. Give me one of these bibles, and you have silenced me for a while.
Henry David Thoreau

I do not prefer one religion or philosophy to another. I have no sympathy with bigotry and ignorance which make transient and partial and puerile distinctions between one man’s faith or form of faith and another’s—as Christians and heathens. I pray to be delivered from narrowness, partiality, exaggeration, bigotry. To the philosopher all sects, all nations, are alike. I like Brahma, Hari, Buddha, the Great Spirit, as well as God.
Henry David Thoreau

I am convinced that what is life denying, what is repressive and false, will be known as such, and people, who are basically good, will follow a new way. Let us be some of those who step out and lead the way, who dare to be the Light that blesses the world, that all the earth may be fair, and all her people one.
Marilyn Sewall

Prelude

Board Welcome

Opening Words:
If God Invited You to a Party
Hafiz

Opening Hymn: 209: O Come, You Longing Thirsty Souls

Chalice Lighting #458

Children’s Time
Singing the Children Out

Offering
Joys and Sorrows
Silence
Response: 159: This is My Song

Special Music

Reading
Sermon: The Four Chaplains: On Diversity and Its Uses

Response: Hymn 401 Kum ba Yah
Extinguishing the Chalice
Benediction
Postlude

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home