Monday, October 13, 2008

MINISTER’S REPORT
RSC, October Meeting
Unitarian Church, Davenport

Rev. Roger Butts

First Things First
First, thanks for all you do. It is good to work with you. Your commitment is a model for this church. I hope you enjoy the rest of the calendar year and the coming winter and find lots of good meaning and beauty all around you.
The Schedule.
October 19: What is your costume????
October 26: Celebration Sunday
November 2: With Steve Klein, Election Sermon (This is a long standing tradition in the Unitarian tradition, in which the minister lays out a discourse on what are pressing and important matters that the next administration might consider).
November 9: Kristallnacht (The Apple Story/The apple meal).
November 16: RSC
November 23: ARTS SUNDAY
Interfaith Thanksgiving Service: Edwards Congregational United Church of Christ
November 30: Roger (possibly with Greer Burke Anderson)
December 7: Assocation Sunday with Kathy Bowman
December 14: RSC
December 21: Pageant. Christmas pageant.
December 28: Roger

Music, Harmonia, Tyson, the Choir and our church.
I think Harmonia, the group that sang yesterday at the Matthew Shepard service, gave us a glimpse of what is possible around music. And having small groups lead the congregational singing was I think a nice touch. Hope to see more of that in the future.

Worship Associates.
As you can tell, I have been attempting to use lots of different worship associates. In the past few weeks: Laurie Bertsche, Ashley Klaas.

Equipment.
How is our conversation going along regarding computers, projectors, etc?

Study Leave.
I will be taking study leave, with part of my time in Chicago, in January. I appreciate the congregation’s willingness to honor this important part of the ministry here.

Sabbatical.
I will announce by early January if I am taking a sabbatical next yea.

Thinness.
Someone said to me: Guard yourself against thinness in the services. I appreciated hearing that. I know when I am off and I have suspicions when I am on. The more interaction with worship associates the better the service. The more involvement from Tyson and or Sarah, the better the service. I welcome your thoughts, your suggestions, your idea, your suggested themes, your potential readings (Unless you keep them for your service!!!). I am likely harder on myself than you’d ever be on me, but I do want you to know that I welcome any feedback. I have a commitment to my spiritual practices, and sometimes that helps me to keep a good focus and sometimes things are just too much with me and the service can slip. I’m working on it! I promise.
The six week Reflection Questions.
a. Evaluation. I have come to see that passing out a sheet on Sunday morning for six weeks is not necessarily the best way to proceed. I believe that the next installment I will try to get published as a booklet, and pass out all six weeks at the first Sunday and made available at the next five weeks for those who have not yet received a copy of the booklet.

b. Next installment.
November 30-December 24: Home for the Holidays
Kristallnacht.
November 7-9. Visit beyondkristallnacht.blogspot.com for information.

Darwin’s Birthday. Joseph Leman.
I have spent some time with newcomer Joseph Leman. He is a biology teacher at Augustana and is very interested in liberal religion and Unitarian Universalism in particular. I have asked him to be a point person on the Darwin’s birthday celebration in February. More information to come.

1 Comments:

At December 20, 2008 at 12:52 PM , Blogger Dan Green said...

Hi Roger,
I'm Maxine Green's son in California. I like your blog.
Dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home