Wednesday, December 12, 2007

5th Anniversary of iraq war coming

FIFTH ANNIVERSARY OF IRAQ WAR, Lenten Reflections



I am trying to get a fantastic chapter transcribed on faith and peace-making written by Father John Dear. The chapter serves as the foreword to Henri Nouwen's Peacework. I hope to have that done before the war's anniversary and maybe even before Ash Wed. It might be a good read for some who are hoping to ground their peace work in some kind of deep reflection.

I see that the big days for possible action against the war are March 15 and March 19.

If I am not mistaken, March 15 is the Saturday before Palm Sunday in the Christian calendar. There are two passages in the lectionary on Sunday that are especially worthy of reflection here. The first is the simple request of Jesus to his disciples that they stay awake. To my mind, this request to stay awake in the face of imperialistic violence has a certain resonance in our current context. After five years--the second longest war I think I read--some are tired, some are despairing, some are fatigued and fearful. There is widespread pessimism I suspect. But the peace-makers among us ask us to stay awake.

The second piece I think is
26:50 Jesus said to him, "Friend, do what you are here to do." Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and arrested him.
26:51 Suddenly, one of those with Jesus put his hand on his sword, drew it, and struck the slave of the high priest, cutting off his ear.
26:52 Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword."

Look at how beloved the agent of imperialist domination is in the sight of Jesus. He calls him 'friend.' Then of course the sword and the lesson therein of Jesus. But I'm especially struck by this word, "friend." No matter what you do, Jesus seems to be saying, I will remain a peace-filled compassionate force.

March 19, if I am not mistaken, is Maundy Thursday. The one who had taught in his moment of difficulty that even the agent of imperialism and violence is to be called friend now shows what that kind of friendship looks like in the washing of the feet, in humility and solidarity. And the simple message of the day is everyone can glorify what is holy and good because everyone can love.

I should think that a peace-based holy week set of liturgies, ecumenical as possible, might be important for the community. In fact, I believe Father John Dear has a lenten reflection somewhere out there. And I believe that there are some Unitarian lenten reflections (called meditation manuals, but they come out twice a year and they used to correspond to Lent and Advent) that involve the peace-making invitation always before us. There are also other holy days in other traditions (muhammed's birthday I believe is in that time period; the day marked for the teachings of the Buddha, etc). Oh, the possibilities.

In good old inclusive radical peace-filled and hope-filled faith, Roger

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home